The Planning Division provides zoning and land-use information to the general public via in-person visits at the public counter, over the telephone and online. The Division oversees the following documents that include the vision of the community and the tools available to assist in its implementation:
Adopted in 2011, the award winning "Vision El Monte General Plan" provides a blueprint to create and sustain a community that appreciates its heritage, respects its cultures and is a place of opportunity and achievement. The Plan’s goals and policies serve as the foundation for local decision making and community engagement. The Land Use Map illustrates various land use designations within the City.
- 2011 General Plan (with 2014-2021 Housing Element) (PDF)
- Environmental Impact Report (PDF)
- Annual Reports (General 2011 to 2016)
- Local Hazards Mitigation Plan_2017
To comply with State requirements and provide housing opportunities for residents, the City prepares a Housing Element every eight years. The current element covers the planning period of 2014-2021. The Housing Element contains goals, policies and programs to facilitate the development, improvement and preservation of housing throughout the City.
- Housing Element (PDF)
- Technical Report (PDF)
- City Council Resolution (PDF)
- Certification Letter (PDF)
- 2021-2029 Housing Element Update
- Annual Housing Element Reports
Zoning & Specific Plans
The El Monte Zoning Code includes all existing zoning regulations and provisions. The Zoning Code designates, regulates and controls the location and use of buildings and land, and establishes development standards for development. The Zoning Map provides a visual illustration of the various Zoning Classifications within the City. The City also has multiple Specific Plans for certain areas of the City.
- Zoning Code – 3/8/2021
- Zoning Map - 2021
- Subdivision Ordinance (Municipal Code Title 16)
- Downtown Main Street Specific Plan (PDF)
- Gateway Specific Plan (PDF)
- Flair Spectrum Specific Plan (PDF)
- Mountain View Specific Plan (PDF)
The following Code Amendments have been approved by the City Council, but are in the process of being added to the online version of the El Monte Municipal Code:
- Cannabis Ordinance (adopted on 12-03-19)
- Flavored Tobacco Ban (adopted on 06-23-20)
- Miscellaneous Updates (Code Amendment No. 792; adopted on 2-16-2021)
Design Guidelines & Resources
Adopted in 2012, the El Monte Design Guidelines provide guidance on quality design for the community. The guidelines include information on site planning, massing and scale, design and detailing and landscaping for single-family, multi-family, commercial and mixed-use projects. The 2011 General Plan also includes elements related to urban design and cultural resources.