Business License

If you are planning to conduct business in the City of El Monte you must obtain a business license.

Who is Required to Have a License

All contractors, consultants, and sub-contractors are required to obtain a business license; and, may be required to obtain additional permits. Businesses that aren't physically located within the city limits may also be required to obtain a City of El Monte business license.

A business license is also required for residential rental property owners (1+ units), commercial property rentals and several other types of activities, including special events.

Starting a Business

All new businesses are required to submit a business license application and pay applicable fees. Existing business must submit a renewal form and pay annual fees. All business located within the City of El Monte must obtain a Business Occupancy Permit from the Planning Department.

Applying for a Business License

Property Rentals

On December 17, 2019 the City of El Monte reinstated Sections of the El Monte Municipal Code that require the licensing of four (4) or less residential rental units & commercial property rentals. Due to the impacts of COVID-19, the City has elected to only begin charging property owners the calendar year 2021 tax and will excuse the 2020 tax amount for those that apply before December 31, 2020. Applications must be submitted by mail or online, no payments will be accepted in person.

Property owners interested in obtaining their business license should contact the
Business License Division
voice (626) 580-2031
Monday-Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm


Some businesses are also required to obtain a business permit., which typically takes 4 to 6 weeks. In order to obtain a permit :

  1. Determine if your business activity requires a permit.
  2. Obtain a Business Occupancy Permit, and all other necessary permits and approvals
  3. Submit Permit and Business License Applications and pay applicable fees
  4. Obtain approval from Permit Committee

Upon approval, your Business License and Permit Conditions will be mailed to you.

Seller's Permit

Seller's permit can be readily obtained at local California Department of Tax and Fee Administration

Offices are located in the City of West Covina or the City of Norwalk area.

Multiple Departments

Depending on the type of business you conduct, you may be required to interact with more than one City department to acquire a business license. For example, your business facility may require City water services, zoning, environmental or building code approval, or the services you provide may require special permit.

Effective January 1, 2024, Assembly Bill 783 requires all single-user toilet facilities in any business establishment, place of public accommodation or state or local government agency to be identified as all-gender toilet facilities by signage that complies with Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations, and designated for use by no more than one occupant at a time or for family or assisted use.

For more information, view the following documents:

State Legislative Information

Assembly Bill 783

City of El Monte Building Division

Notice of Sb 1186-Mandated Fee

On September 19, 2012, Governor Jerry Brown signed into law Senate Bill 1186 (SB 1186) which requires California cities and counties to collect a State mandated fee of $1 from "any applicant for a local business license or equivalent instrument or permit, and from any applicant for the renewal of a business license or equivalent instrument and permit" beginning January 1, 2013. In 2018 the SB 1186 mandated fee has increased to the account of four dollars. Notice of SB 1886-Mandated Fee (PDF).

Senate Bill 1186 (Chapter 383, Statutes of 2012) created Government Code Section 4467. This statute was recently amended by Assembly Bill 1379 (Chapter 667, Statutes 2017). Among other things, this statute requires:

  • January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2017, a one-dollar ($1) additional fee to be paid by any applicant for a local business license, permit or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed. The fee is divided between the local entity that collected the funds, which retains 70 percent, and DSA, which receives 30 percent.
  • January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2023, a four-dollar ($4) additional fee is to be paid by any applicant for a local business license, permit or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed. If no such instrument exists, the fee is to be paid by an applicant for a building permit. The fee is divided between the local entity that collected the funds, which retains 90 percent, and DSA, which receives 10 percent.
  • On and after January 1, 2024, the fees and requirements remain in effect but the amount will reduce to one-dollar ($1). The city, county, or city and county will retain 70 percent of the fees collected and submit 30 percent to DSA.

Notice of AB 3002

Model Notice to Applicants for Business Licenses and Commercial Building Permits Background

The Model Notice required by Assembly Bill 3002 (Chapter 680, Statutes of 2018) is available below. The notice is intended to provide access information and resources to building license and commercial building permit applicants. Directions on the distribution of the notice are provided in AB 3002. Questions regarding compliance with the AB 3002 requirements should be directed to your local jurisdiction's legal counsel.

The notice includes the content of Government Code Sections 4469 and 4469.5. Local jurisdictions may use the PDF file version or reformat the Word file version when making the notice available to commercial building permit applicants and business license applicants. Spanish, Chinese, Tagalog, Vietnamese, and Korean translations are being developed and will be posted once available.

Additional Information

For detailed information on the City's business tax, licenses and regulations, please review the City's Municipal Code. Cannabis related business may find additional information on the Cannabis Guidelines page.